From 1901 to 1906, sixteen students graduated from Ole Miss with engineering degrees. Five of those became engineers for various railroads, two became hydraulic engineers working on levees, four became city engineers, one a county engineer, two became mining engineers, and one an engineering teacher and lighthouse inspector. That Ole Miss engineers were accepted nationally in those days is borne out by the fact that some of the graduates found positions in Iowa, Delaware, Alabama, and Utah. The majority, however, stayed within the state to aid in its progress and development. Salaries of these men ranged from $600 to $3,500 per year.
Thus, the School of Engineering at Ole Miss operating as a solid, continuing educational program has been in existence from 1900 to the present. The program has always been relatively small, but then the University itself has always retained a small college atmosphere. In 1900, there were 303 students enrolled at Ole Miss. The University gradually grew passing the 1,000 student mark in 1926 and reaching almost 1,500 just before World War II. After the war, the enrollment quickly jumped to 2,000 in 1945 and 3,200 in 1946 and since then has increased to approximately 11,000 today. From 1900 to 1946, the University graduated 272 students in engineering, an average of 6 per year. From 1946 to 1975, about 1,260 had received undergraduate engineering diplomas, an average of 42 per year.
Today, the civil engineering department, along with the other branches of engineering at the University, offers advanced level training. The first Master's Degree in Civil Engineering was awarded in 1949 and the first Ph.D. in 1971.