For many years, The Engineering Council for Professional Development was the only official accrediting agency of engineering schools in the United States. The civil engineering program was accredited in 1949 followed by chemical in 1954, geological and mechanical in 1959, and electrical in 1969. Since their first accreditation, all programs have retained accreditation continuously through today. Accreditation is now through ABET-EAC (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology - Engineering Accreditation Commission).
Curricula in engineering throughout the country has changed in many ways since 1900 and the program at Ole Miss generally kept up with the times. This also reflects the national trend of high science orientation at the turn of the century, a more technical orientation in the 1920's to 1940's and a return to the science orientation in the 1970's.
Student organizations have always been an important part of a student's education at Ole Miss. Student chapters of ASCE were authorized in 1920 and the Ole Miss student chapter was formed in 1923. Ole Miss was the first southeastern school to form a chapter of Chi Epsilon, the civil engineering honorary fraternity. Our chapter was established in 1937 as the 14th in the nation. Today the school has chapters of AIAA, AIChE, ASCE, IEEE, UMGS, ASME, Chi Epsilon, Eta Kappa Nu and Sigma Gamma Epsilon. A chapter of the Society of American Military Engineers was formed in 1950 but has been inactive in recent years.
The School of Engineering is housed in several buildings on the Ole Miss campus. Carrier Hall houses the dean's office and the civil, geological, and mechanical engineering departments. Carrier Hall was donated to the University by the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Carrier and was built in 1954. Anderson Hall houses chemical and electrical engineering; the Engineering Sciences building also contains research facilities for electrical engineering. Weir Hall houses the department of computer science and information science. A recent addition to the School of Engineering is Brevard Hall.
Today, the Engineering School at the University of Mississippi is composed of about 650 undergraduate students, 200 graduated students, and 45 faculty members. The faculty have obtained doctorates from leading universities throughout the nation. Many are very active in research and publish in leading national and international journals. Others are active in consulting so that the student receives a broad education in both theory and practice and thus is well prepared to meet the engineering demands of the future. Ole Miss engineering graduates in the past, present, and future have and will continue to hold positions of leadership in their local communities and at the state and national levels. Although situated in a primarily liberal arts atmosphere, engineering has a rich, cultural tradition at the University and will continue to play a vital role in the development of the future of Ole Miss.